NYYM Outreach & Advancement
About Outreach and Advancement
Outreach refers to efforts by Friends and local, regional, and yearly meetings to reach out to their communities in various ways, to participate in the life of the community. to "publish our truth," sharing the Quaker message, to let the world know we're here and attract folks who might want to explore the Quaker way as their own path.
Advancement refers to efforts to deepen and advance Quakerism. It therefore includes aspect of "inreach," efforts to better equip meetings to do outreach and prepare them to be communities that welcome and readily include newcomers.
A Yearly Meeting Priority. In our Statement of Leadings and Priorities, adopted in 2014, we embraced outreach and advancement as one aspect of one of our Priorieties: We Envision A Yearly Meeting That Supports and Amplifies Our Witness. Click the following to read the full statement for this Priority.
NYYM Resources for Outreach and Advancmeent
Advancement Task Group
The NYYM Advancement Task Group is an ad hoc group of NYYM Friends who hold a concern for advancement and outreach in the yearly meeting.
Visit the Advancement Task Group web page.
The Advancement Committee is a standing committee charged with advancement in the yearly meeting. The Committee is currently suspended and this work is now under the care of the Advancement Task Group.
Outreach Working Group
"The NYYM Outreach Working Group is an ad hoc group of NYYM Friends who hold a concern for advancement and outreach in the yearly meeting.
Visit the Outreach Working Group web page.
Outreach Roundtables are one-day programs held in a local meeting for Friends in the region interested in outreach. They are designed to offer local meetings timely topics, new tools, and concrete take-aways for outreach activities.
Visit the Outreach Roundtables web page.
Our Resources section has books and pamphlets on outreach and advancement, plus brochures for meetings to use as handouts for visitors on aspects of the Quaker way and samples with ideas for your own brochures.
Visit our Resources page on Outreach and Advancement.
Friends General Conference Resources
- Grow Our Meetings Toolkit—guidance and tools for Friends that want to deepen their own spiritual life, welcome new life into their meetings, consider what it’s like to be new in a meeting, and do outreach.
- New Meeting Toolbox—basic materials for Friends considering starting a worship group or meeting.
- Inreach/Outreach/Inclusion Travelers—Friends who travel in a ministry dedicated to helping meetings become welcoming, deep and warm.
- Meeting Mentors—Friends how have been trained to "walk alongside" a meeting over an extended period as it works on its challenges and opportunities.
- You Are Welcome Here: A Booklet of Learnings from Quaker Quest.